Name: Marieke Eyskoot
First job: Selling health and wellness products at what is now called Holland & Barrett (De Tuinen, for those in The Netherlands)
Current job: Sustainable lifestyle expert, speaker, presenter, author of ‘This is a Good Guide – for a sustainable lifestyle’ (or ‘Dit is een goede gids – voor een duurzame lifestyle’ in Dutch)
Connect on LinkedIn:
Click on the photo to connect
WORK VS PRIVATE
Describe your average work day:
All my days are different, as an independent professional, but in no particular order, a day could contain:
- An early morning walk at about 6.15, enjoying the start of the day and getting inspired by podcasts.
- Preparing for an event I’m presenting, or actually hosting an (online) event, program or press conference.
- Working on a book, or the promotion of one.
- Preparing for a lecture about sustainable lifestyle and conscious choices, or giving one.
- Working on my movement #SustainabilityAgainstShame, to fight shaming for profit – which makes us all feel bad and treat the earth badly at the same time. The message is that we are not okay, and that we need to keep buying things to belong or be happy. We need to recognize and resist this, to not just save ourselves, but the planet too.
- Being active on social media, engaging with people globally who are interested in contributing to a better world.
- Answering e-mails, questions, student inquiries, requests for appearances.
- Working out in one way or the other.
- Doing podcasts, interviews, public speaking engagements to spread the word.
- Cuddling my cat.
Describe your average day off:
- Cuddling my cat.
- Going on walks, bike rides or outdoor activities.
- Reading books, newspapers, watching documentaries or series.
- Decorating / working on our house.
- Cooking / meal prepping.
- Cuddling my husband.
What makes you really happy?
To hear that people have been empowered by my book or work, that they now know what to do to make a difference, what to study or even that is has changed their lives.
What irritates you the most?
What is your favourite place in the world?
Our own house, and our garden. Closely followed by Sydney, Iceland and a place I haven’t been yet.
What is vitality to you?
Feeling fit in body and mind.
How do you take care of your own vitality?
I go on early morning walks, work-out daily, aim to eat healthily and to not work in the weekends and evenings. Oh, and I work on a Deskbike, I love it!
Which must read/see/follow do you highly recommend?
What is (are) your best tip(s) to share with others?
Marieke Eyskoot (1977) is a sustainable fashion and lifestyle expert. She puts contemporary, conscious living on the map. Her modern handbook ‘This is a Good Guide – for a sustainable lifestyle’ is filled with practical and positive tips on fashion, beauty, food, home, work and leisure. It proves that stylish and sustainable go very well together, and makes green living fun and doable. Marieke is a sought-after (TEDx)speaker, presenter and consultant, and co-founder of international fair fashion trade show MINT. With over twenty years of experience, she has an extensive global ethical network. She’s featured in several top-women lists and was nominated as Amsterdam Citizen of the Year. Marieke has founded worldwide movement #SustainabilityAgainstShame. For many media, she is the go-to person for all things sustainable. Click on the image above to visit the website or follow Marieke on Instagram.
Office Talk by OnlineFitCompany contains informative blogs on physical and mental health and inspiring interviews with office workers and vitality experts.