WORK VS PRIVATE
Describe your average work day:
My average work day varies, depending on the projects and appointments I have. In general I start my day with some early morning exercising. This could be a walk in the park, yoga or sport. Once I am energised I start my work day. Some days are filled with coaching, other days are filled with HR projects. Never a dull moment!
Describe your average day off:
My days off are filled with spending time outdoors. I love to go for a hike, a kayak trip or something alike. Spending time with my beloved ones is also important to me. A good book, an inspiring movie or going to a sauna are also activities I love to do during my days off. Oh and drinking a good coffee in a nice little cafe and watching people go by.
What makes you really happy?
I am in my happy place when I am outdoors, spending time in nature. No commitments, just fresh air, movement, silence. In nature I regain energy and it gives me often a new perspective. It boosts creativity. It also makes me really happy if I can guide people along their way, especially when I can combine my passion for nature with coaching and leadership trails. Next year in May 2021 I will facilitate a natural leadership program in Scotland together with Okke Gerritsen. I can’t wait to get started!
What irritates you the most?
The ‘always on’ culture. It often seems we are continuously switched on, too busy with the digital life instead of really living here and now.
Who inspires you and why?
Not an easy one to answer! Multiple people inspire me, I see them as my mentors. Last year I went on a natural leadership trail myself to Spain and the facilitator was (and is) a true inspiration for me. I can also get inspired by movies or books. For example a Hero’s Journey of Joseph Campbell or the movie Out of Nature.
What is your favourite place in the world?
I have travelled many places and lived in multiple countries. My thoughts are going straight to the beautiful landscapes of New-Zealand, the emptiness of Australia or the rainforests of Borneo. However, due to my travels I start to appreciate home more and more. I am born and raised in Friesland and often return to my roots. I love the green fields, the forests and the many lakes. So yes, my favourite place nowadays is Friesland.
What is vitality to you?
To me vitality is a combination of different aspects: body, mind and heart. When I feel vital I feel energised, motivated, inspired, empowered and in good health. Mentally and physically.
How do you take care of your own vitality?
To be able to feel vital, I eat healthy, exercise, spend time in nature, and spend time with people who are important to me. I also need my 8 hours sleep. On top of that I practice gratitude on a daily basis and invest in my personal development. I do believe that being grateful contributes to my feeling of happiness and also to my vitality. To be able to see the good things each day, even on a day off, I will feel more empowered and resilient.
Which must read/see/follow do you highly recommend?
What is (are) your best tip(s) to share with others?
- Go each day for a walk, even if it’s only 20 minutes. If you have a 1 on 1 meeting you can choose to do a weeting (walking meeting), also by phone. It’s a great way to re-focus, gain new energy, get some fresh air and a new perspective.
- Spend time in nature. Did you know that research showed that even if you only spend 2 hours per week in nature, you will feel more happy and energized? It’s a fact!
- Create a green office: surround yourself with some nice plants and/or flowers. Plants reduce stress and increase productivity. Check out my blog for more information.
- Last but not least eat healthy, listen to your body, take time to rest and spend less time behind your screen or on your phone.
Rootzz helps individuals and organisations grow, develop and achieve sustainable results. By providing HR consultancy, coaching and facilitating natural leadership programs Rootzz encourages you to discover and use your full potential. Where possible nature is a source of inspiration and a tool for reflection. Click on the logo to visit the website.
- How does a HR Manager in the floral industry take care of his own vitality? Read the interview with Walter Minderhoud or Royal FloraHolland.
- How does walking improve your performance at work and in life? Read the 6 most positive effects of walking.
- What are the best snacks to fuel the brain whilst working? Read the top 6 most delicious and healthy snacks.
- Working from home can sometimes be a struggle. Read 7 best tips on how to change struggles into positive challenges.
Office Talk by OnlineFitCompany contains informative blogs on physical and mental health and inspiring interviews with office workers and vitality experts.